My Blog List

Monday 17 October 2016

#2 Come on you Old Feckers

Lord Lite of Thorrington couldn't wait to pick up on this idea and even had the brazen  cheek to ask what he should call it, Old Feckers natch. Which he shamelessly nicked as well.Worth it mainly so far for pictures of his hideous lip slug and perm. Keep em coming!

Seeing that first picture on  of me on the Colne got me thinking about rods. I can't remember the first rod I fished with but I did have a tiny thing with  a tiny reel that I dreamt of fishing with and even made a rod out of a garden cane and wire rings. Never used that either.  At that time tank Ariel rods were still being used. don't remember what we used to fish with for the frogs, we did though use branches, with nylon to hand for the rudd on Rectory Road pond,. mostly cos we had to leg it when the owner saw us, he had  a shot gun and he did fire it at us.

In the Colne picture I was using  a more sophisticated hollow glass rod, the give away white section above the sheet cork handle indicating it was probably a Woolworths rod, one of a series of slightly better ones I had. But that was a while after I had come back from the shit hole. I do remember being given a solid cane rod with a solid glass tip which I couldn't bear to be seen with, However one trip to Horsey Mill and a lovely roach and I stated to use it. Probably the rod I used at the shithole, for dace and gudgeon in the feeder stream, fishing off  a foot rest on the weir slope and memorably 23 big perch between  me and Stuart Robinson off a bridge on the Chelmer, redolent of pig farm and the big sewage plant. I stayed up in Stockport with Stuart, we fished Roman Lakes in Marple and a truly dreadful polluted canal.

This blog will jump about a bit, lots of albums have been mixed up but nothing really before early Match pit days so there will be a lots of preamble about other shining times but no pics. Unless the Old Feckers find some.



This album really starts when we  had the Match Pit carp a bit sussed, sussed in that we were moving away from the old standard size 2 Goldstrikes  stuffed with sweet corn and blasted way out, initially for me on those 8 or 9 foot solid glass white spinning rods of the time. Rods now Fibatube blanks. 10 or 11 foot I think. I had no camera for a while so courtesy of Shanus or Lord Lite and their 126 format pics



Match Pit common (natch). Road bank. Very noisy with big tucks and  a conveyor belt just yards away. Gas board jacket, waders and a poxy little net.


Pump Pit 9.04. My biggest fish at the time. On crust from the Sandbank and I Had to go in up to my neck to free it from weed. Note the CPOAC LUNKER HUNTERS holdall and nearly Dave size keep net.


Shanus with a upper double from the Tip Pit. Picture by my brother. Specially commissioned.


Classic back garden shot with two browuies from Ardliegh close seasoon in those day so we were up top our knackers in the water from 1st of April, and as it warmed the boats. Don't know how many years I  blagged  a junior ticket for.... And as for buying a second 8 fish limit ticket..




Ardliegh later hit the headlines for it's roach stocks,.My biggest from there this 1.12 on feedered maggot. I spy a Cardinal 155 on that rod. I had been to the pub for more fags as my rollies couldn't cope with the rain, after the row across and walk in waders 3 pints in the Wooden Fender went down a treat. Won't surprise the Old Feckers to know I still use that Eustace bag though the mice have had a go at the strap.


We were on boilies and particles by now, bigger net, still a bike and what the fuck hair. Match Pit reeds. The bikes were important. Firstly to get there, Dedham or very occasionally Layer  our maximum rides. Secondly to ride round when some one had  a run. Some times we went home (me to refill my 3 flasks) so we left behind might have to patrol the still fishing rods. You knew when one was away as the dog walkers would be transfixed by the indicators sliding up and down the needles.


Winter was no barrier to us carping.Still got the Avon scales and Stuart box. Out towards the island, seafood boilies. 2pm run almost guaranteed. No Skeetex yet though. Set boxes not Lafumas still, and of course Dave had a 50 gallon Riva box




Wine o'clock so toodle pip..

2 comments:

  1. Good, feisty post. Yes, I forgot just how important the bikes were.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will be my Opus whatever so will be quite a task to complete.

    ReplyDelete